Asphalt shingles are commonly used in most roof installations; they are known for durability. However, the roof’s appearance may not give us the desired satisfaction or may begin to wear.
We may decide to paint or reshingle the roof to improve the appearance, but you might want to know if this is a good idea. Read more to know if you can Paint Roofing Felt?
Yes, you can paint asphalt shingles. Painting improves the roof’s appearance, and it also serves as a protective layer against wear and ultraviolet radiation. But you should ensure to use the correct type of paint suitable for your asphalt roof shingles.
Ready for a Roofing Quiz?
Is Painting Shingles a Good Idea?
It is not wrong to paint shingles, but you should always consider shingle material. For example, you cannot paint a terra-cotta roof because it has a glaze that prevents paints from sticking to the surface.
However, you can paint metal sheets, asphalt shingles, clay tiles, concrete, and slate. There are also both pros and cons to painting roof shingles.
Painting can improve the roof’s appearance, and it also helps to reflect the heat and the radiation from the sun.
Nevertheless, you need to use the right paint for your asphalt shingle to ensure that it doesn’t keep water inside the roof layers, which could lead to several complications.
Furthermore, several advantages come with painting the shingles, such as.
#1. Improving the Appearance of the Building
Asphalt shingles look good on buildings but not every building shows the beauty of using shingles. Painting is a fantastic way to improve the look to complement the building.
#2. Increases Lifespan of the Roof
Painting can improve the roofing’s resistance to ultraviolet radiation, but choosing the right paint is vital. Although high-quality acrylic latex paint is ideal for painting shingles, it reduces the rate at which the roof wears.
#3. Reduces Cost of Reshingling
Although, reshingling is a common way of changing the appearance of a roof. It is pretty expensive, and painting is considered more cost-effective.
#4. Prevents Leaks and Moulds
A painted roof in good shape can help prevent leaks and molds in the roof. Molds are hazardous to health, and painting the roof can help to reduce the harmful effects.
#5. Protects the Roof Against Rusting
Painting the roof can help control the rate at which it rusts. Although the paint is expected to fade over time due to exposure to different climates, rusting and wearing can still be controlled.
#6. Reduces Energy Consumption
Some roof paint colors will absorb sunlight, thereby raising the warmth in the home and increasing the amount of energy needed to maintain the air conditioning.
For example, black is a bad idea, especially in hot areas, if you want to make staying indoors bearable.
This color absorbs the sunlight and passes on the heat into the home. Therefore, it is ideal for painting the roof white.
In addition, the color white and lighter shades of colors like yellow, light blue, green, and gray would reflect the sunlight and heat, thereby reducing the cost spent on keeping the home cool.
However, as beautiful and comfortable as painting the roof can be. There are still some disadvantages that come with it, such as.
#7. Regular Repainting
Painted roof shingles would fade over time against weather and environmental elements. You would have to spend more money regularly repainting to change the roof color and beauty.
You need to constantly check the roof shingles for repair or replacement before you can apply the paint. Sometimes, you might need to strip off the actual paint entirely.
#8. Increased Risk and Hard Work
You would need to hire a professional roof painter to paint the roof. Walking on the top can be dangerous, and you need the proper safety equipment to carry out the procedure.
It can also be quite hard to apply paint because you need the right color and equipment to get the job done. If you do it yourself, you might just waste the paint and have to start all over again.
How long do painted shingles last?
Painted roof shingles are expected to last between five to seven years. Around the fifth year, you will begin to notice the roof fading.
You need to check your roof regularly and observe appropriately if it is due for repainting.
Several factors determine the longevity of roof shingles, and these factors must be considered when installing a roof shingle to avoid wasting money on reshingling or painting frequently.
Some of these factors are.
- The quality of the roof paint
- The type of shingle material
- The kind of climate condition
- The type of roof
- The quality of service of the roof painter
Painted shingles wear much faster than unpainted shingles. Unpainted roof shingles can last as long as 20 years, while painted roof shingles usually need repainting every five to seven years.
Therefore, you need to clean and repair the roof shingles before priming and repainting it.
Climatic conditions like sunlight, snow, and rain would affect roof paints, causing them to fade faster. As a result, you might need to paint the roof more often to keep the beauty and color going.
It is best to contact a professional to paint a roof, but if you decide to do it yourself, here is a step-by-step guide on getting it done.
- Inspect the roof properly to check the condition of the roof. Contacting a professional to inspect the roof for leakages, repair, and replacements is essential. You should review the interior part for water damage such as dark spots, molds, stains, and mildews. Inspect the exterior for damaged shingles, rust, broken or loosely tied joints, termites, and other pests.
- After inspection, repair all the damages and clean the roof of every dirt and leaves. Clean a newly installed roof with a pressure washer. Use a biocidal wash for older roofs and disinfect against fungal growth. Use a fine brush to remove dirt from roof joints.
- Apply a sealant to protect the roof against ultraviolet rays, extreme weather conditions, and other water permeability and fire elements.
- Choose the right paint for your shingles. It is ideal to use high-quality acrylic latex paints for painting asphalt shingles. You can find a local contractor that supplies roof paints to deliver the appropriate paint.
- Choose the preferred paint application method that is easier and more comfortable for you. You can decide to use the paintbrush, roller brush, roller paint, and spray paint method. Whichever method you prefer is up to you.
- Apply paint to your shingles. Be careful during application so that you do not damage the shingles. Also, be careful not to hurt yourself while walking on the roof. Finally, you should keep in mind that you should paint your roof during the summer. During this time, it dries quickly, and you don’t have to worry about rain or snow damaging the paint.
What Type of Paint Do You Use on Asphalt Shingles?
High-quality 100% acrylic latex paint is specially formulated for asphalt shingle painting. This type of paint helps to remove moisture from the shingle and prevents the growth of algae.
It also protects the house against roof leaks. You can purchase acrylic latex paint.
In addition, the acrylic elastomeric coating is waterproof and can trap moisture in the shingle, thus resulting in corrosion. Water in the roof shingles promotes the growth of mold and algae, which increases rot.
Therefore, it is not advisable to apply acrylic elastomeric paint on your asphalt roof shingles so that it does not deteriorate.
Acrylic elastomeric coatings will degrade asphalt. Therefore, applying acrylic elastomeric coating on asphalt shingles will cause them to deteriorate slowly.
However, acrylic elastomeric paint extends the life of other types of roof shingles, such as metal, but using them on asphalt shingles is not a good idea. It will not give you the desired satisfaction compared to a metal roof.
Roof painting gives beauty and a look that complements the building, but it is essential to understand that there are upsides and downsides to painting an asphalt roof shingle.
So, avoid practices that pose damage to the roof to improve the look.